Sunday, February 24, 2013


START AT THE BOTTOM  :)

Feb 19th
This week has been a great one!  I got transferred but I am doing well, Elder Davidson is my new companion I don't know if I said that last week.  He is from Sacramento.  We are going to baptize so many this transfer!  We have a few that we are preparing and then also have like 5 more to pick up this week!  It will be great.

This past weekend we had a baptism for Keith.  It was great I sent you a picture.  

This week we have a bunch of lessons with new investigators or people I knew from when I was here in the past either in YSA or from the family wards that had YSA's that lived with them.  We should have a really great week this week!
Thank you so much for the valentines stuff!  The lunch box is a little smaller than the one I tried last Sunday but it still fits just a little snug which is fine.  

I will write more next week I promise I don't have a ton to say this week. 


Feb 12th
I am getting transferred.  :(  I don’t really want to leave but I know there is a reason even though I haven’t found it yet. I am going back to Murray to be in the Murray YSA again.  My address is

6426 South Silver Bell Dr.
Murray, UT 84107

I am excited but sad at the same time.  I know I am going to have to ride my bike all over half of the mission, I hope this snow goes away soon because of it.  

This week has been good.  We currently have 3 people on date for baptism.  All 3 for next month though.  I have to leave them all.  I will make sure though that I come back and visit some of my friends here after my mission.

We did some service this week of shoveling snow for people.  We just went to the church and dropped our bikes and grabbed shovels and went out to help people, then they can’t really tell us no.  We also went to the retirement home in our area and visited a few people there.  There was a lady there we were trying to baptize.


Feb 5th
This week has been pretty swell.  It is getting close to transfers though. :(  I feel like I might get transferred but I don’t want to.  We find out Monday night if we are or not. 

We have 2 people we are teaching that are preparing for baptism on the 23rd.  We are bringing Elder Guapo tomorrow to meet them.  I hope they can get married.  They both say they are "engaged" and that they just haven’t set a date.  So we are going to go set one with them.  It will be good.  

I don’t have much else this week.  

I love and miss you!



Jan 29th
Dear Family,

Freezing rain is so cool!  This past week there was freezing rain and it made all the snow all shiny and it covered it, so that day you could pick up the layer and throw it and it just broke apart when it hit the ice and slid across it.  It was weird I don't know if I described it very well there.  I guess it hasn't happened in Utah since like 1981.  It all looked fake.  Then Sunday night it snowed, so that means I have seen snow every day since before Christmas.  It just hasn't left this year.  My companion and I both got sick Saturday and Sunday.  We worked through it Saturday because we had a baptism, and Sunday because it was church.  Elder Amundsen was sicker than I was, but we both had flu symptoms. When members started seeing the Elder A was sick on Sunday they asked why we were at church, then it got worse so around 3:30 we went home for the night.  Yesterday we stayed inside until after dinner too.  I felt like a slacker.

Saturday we had a baptism though!  Neshia, the one we are teaching with cancer, got baptized and confirmed!  I am so excited for them and hope she can make it another year so they can go through the Temple.  

We also went to the old folk’s home this past week too!  We went for Elders Quorum and Relief Society and then again Friday to go visit members of the ward there.  I like seeing them there it’s kind of like just going and adopting a grandparent.  There are a few people who come every week to the branch there for church that have never been baptized so we are trying to see if we can teach them.

Sunday night we got a referral for Nichole.  Our ward mission leader sent us a text and said that she showed up at church that week, we have been to his ward every week for like the past 5 weeks and the time we don't come is the time a non-member shows up.  He found her though and asked us to go by.  We did and she has kids who are baptized but, 2 years ago, at the time they got baptized she was in jail.  Now she sometime struggles with knowing there is a God she said her life is a tough and we know she is ready to be baptized she wants to know if there is a God and we told her if she asked in faith in prayer she would get her answer.  

Our other new investigator is Crystal; she was a referral from the Spanish elders who thought she was a returning member who just wanted us to visit.  We went by 2 weeks ago and she was sick.  She had us come back last week and told us how she wasn't a member and her fiancé who was sick with the flu wasn't one either and that she was interested and would ask him.  She said her siblings got baptized like 10 years ago and she chickened out because she was scared, she said though that now she sees why it is important and wants to make this step in her life and covenant with her Father in Heaven.

I love my mission and know it is where I am supposed to be in my life right now, every day I see things happen that I know I was meant to be here to do, whether it is someone we talk to or teach or someone we visit.  We see so many miracles and I get to see or be a part of.  It’s so amazing and I love it, I see my own testimony and conversion grow each day and that the things I am doing and the habits I am starting are ones that will be with me my whole life.


Jan 22nd
Dear Family,

This week was a good week.  Well sort of, Neshia didn't get baptized and we are still trying to work it out and figure out when she will.  She is the one with cancer that is preparing to get baptized.  

We are trying to help our investigator Stefanie too.  She doesn't really want to live all of the church standards.  She is 17 and just moved here from Florida where she lived with mom and now she lives with Gma and Gpa.  She is a tough cookie but we think tomorrow night when we go teach her that she will either not invite us back or that she will decide she wants to get baptized, we are just going to lay it out and she can decide what she wants to do.
This week we went to the retirement/rehabilitation home in our area for Elder Quorum / Relief Society Wednesday morning, that was really different than I was expecting.  It was just people talking and giving a regular lesson but there was no excitement in the lesson and it had no participation but it was still fun to go and see and see all their faces light up when they saw the missionaries because I know they haven't in a long time.  We also helped a few people shovel their driveways last week and went around doing that.  We heard a storm is supposed to come in again this weekend.  Woowho...... I am ready for the sun to come again and warm us up more than to just 27 degrees.  It’s so much fun going house to house contacting people in 15 degree weather.  I just love it.  

How’s the weather there?  People keep me updated on the Seahawks and how they did so well till they lost this week, I think that’s what they told me.  I don't pay too much attention since I haven't seen anything this season.  Sometimes I miss being able to just sit down and relax and not have to worry about being somewhere or worry about what I am going to do for a ride or other missionaries doing something wrong or anything.  I miss only worrying about myself.  I love doing missionary work though!


Jan 15th
Dear Family,

This week has been a good one. On Sunday Neshia was able to get interviewed for her baptism this Saturday. She has cancer but is so ready to get baptized, we had a lesson with her this week and she asked how long she had to wait until she could go to the temple and get sealed.  Then she asked what happens if she can't make it a year after her baptism.  It was so sad.  I know she wants it so badly so we are seeing what we can do if the First Presidency can give her permission early with her circumstances.  Please pray that all goes well. 

We are also working with Trisha to help her prepare for baptism on the 26th.  I pray that all goes well for her.  She is shady though.  We will have 1 or 2 lessons with her then she disappears and no one has a clue where she goes and she doesn't answer the phone or return our calls.

Jan 8th
Dear Family,

My week has been very good; we are teaching a new person to teach.  He is going to be a tough cookie to teach but very good.  His name is Dustin and he is in his 40's.  He and his family live around active members and he met the bishop and said he wanted to start coming to church but he doesn't want to be pushed into baptism and since he says that we can’t invite him yet.   

Other than that my live has been good.  Very simple but good.  My new companion is Elder Amundsen, he is from Norway.  :)  He has this accent and it’s funny.  I like it.

Thanks for everyone’s Christmas cards and Christmas presents.  Sorry I don't have time to write back really.  I love you though!


Jan 1st
Hey this week my companion is going home.  I hate sending missionaries home.  It isn't fun.  

This week we started teaching Stefanie.  She is from Florida and just moved in with her grandparents 2 weeks ago.  We have taught her a lot this week and it has been good.

I don't have much to say since Christmas we talked and a lot hasn't happened since then.  

Dec 18th
Dear Family,

This week was great!! We found 2 new people who want to be baptized.  Neshia, she has cancer but is preparing for baptism on January 12th. And then also Tricia when I was with Elder Reid we taught her before she moved.  Then this past week she moved back.  She is preparing for baptism on December 29th.  Woowho! :)  Also we had 2 baptisms this past weekend. Thomas and Marisa got baptized.  Tricia is Marissa's mom.  They asked us to baptize them too so I got to baptize Marisa, and confirm Thomas during sacrament meeting.  It was a great weekend! 

This week should be another great one.  We have a few new people to pick up.  I am excited to keep finding those that are ready to accept the Gospel into their lives.  I know the Lord is preparing people and that I will find them here.

I just got my haircut at this member’s house.  He has a salon downstairs.  His name is Brother Cruz.  He is the best and you need to try it sometime.  He is funny, and let me try his hair drying chair.


Dec 11th
This week has been so great!  So last Monday we had brought Elder Guapo with us and he showed them Family Proclamation to the World.  Tuesday morning we were with them at the court house downtown to get their marriage license.  Saturday they got married.  The ward pulled it all together!! :)  They came together and pulled a nice wedding out for our investigators.  They are such a good couple.  They have a 2.5 year old and 8 month old.  They are getting baptized on Saturday.  Whoohoo!!!!!!

We have been to a lot of ward Christmas parties these last 2 weeks. Like the picture with Santa you saw. 
I will find out where and when I will call you this week.

It snowed a lot this week too.  But it’s not really that bad so far.  Hopefully it doesn’t get too bad.

I love and miss you guys!


Dec 4th
Hello Family.
This week was such a good week!!! :) We have been meeting with Marissa and Thomas for just over a week. This last week we have talked with them about getting married to get baptized. They really want to get baptized and know they need too. We have been struggling with what to do to help them. Elder Sulski and I have never been in this situation. So last night we brought Elder Dahley with us who is a senior missionary and specializes in marriage and stuff. He is a lawyer and is certified to marry people and came with us tonight and read the family proclamation to the world and asked each what it told them to do there. They both said marriage. When he asked each if they wanted to get married to each other and they both said yes he pulled out an application for marriage. Filled it out and asked them if 9 or 10 would work better for them to meet him at the court house to get the marriage license. We met this morning to get that. Wooowho! :) We are planning a wedding for this weekend and then a baptism for them both next weekend! I am so happy for them.
We also are teaching Todd and it is great! I love missionary work and it is such a great week.


Nov 27th
Hello!

This week has been great!! We found a new investigator named Todd this week on Thanksgiving night!!! He was the first door we knocked on and he met with us Friday and Saturday and then came to 3 hours of church on Sunday!!  Sunday while at church with him in sacrament a young couple came and sat in front of us! Neither of which are baptized and they have been coming to church the last 2 weeks! They are preparing for baptism on Dec 8th!  Wooooo!  :)

Other than that it has been a hectic week with transfers and moving into a new apartment but it has been a successful week!! Elder Sulski and I get along great!  It is so good!  Now that we cover less area it is nice to meet more of the members in each of our wards!

I don’t have much time to email today but I will email more next week!


Nov 20th
Hey so this week has been really good! :) We found a few people and put them on date.  One little boy and his sister, their mom is less active but wants to start coming back to church and just got divorced.  She wants her kids to get baptized now that she has custody and dad doesn't have a say really.

We are also teaching a lady name Teri I think I told you about her last week, the one who came up to us at the duck pond.  She is great.  I am sad that I have to give everyone we have on date for baptism and Teri over to new missionaries because our stake is getting split.  

I have been able to serve people around our area the last few days by raking leaves.  It stopped snowing and there is a lot of sun now so it’s nice to ride my bike and not be bundled up because it’s freezing.  We have a mission 5k Run called the "Beat the President" run Thursday.  It will be exciting.  

It is sad to see Elder Reid leave.  And my new companion Elder Sulski will be leaving in 6 weeks in January.  It is sad to see everyone I know leaving but it is still going to be fun being his companion.  

I am moving to a new apartment the address is

1918 Ben Air Dr.
Taylorsville, UT  84129

We will have 4 missionaries in 1 apartment.  It has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.  We will see how this goes.  It will be different.

Make sure you write that down for when everyone sends me Christmas stuff and make sure Santa knows too! :)

I am excited to see what this transfer brings we will be covering some of my favorite wards and getting to spend a lot more time in them specifically!!! I love this stake.  I have a lot of people I love here.

I miss you all.

Nov 13th
This week has been great.  It has had its up and downs but all in all it was pretty good.  This week is Elder Reid's last full week. Next week is transfers.  We started teaching a lady this week her name is Teri and she is just out of rehab and looking for a change in her life.  She is a member but wants to come back to church and get the missionary discussions and it is great.  

It snowed this week for like 3 days straight.  It was a good snow.  Now it’s cold and I am glad I have gloves and snow stuff.  We started listening to Christmas music and it’s nice.

This week we started teaching that family and then they ended up deciding they no longer wanted to meet with us.  It was depressing a little but they have their agency so we are still looking for those ready to receive the Gospel into their lives.

Well I love you.  This should be a good week!

Nov 6th
This week was a very similar week to last.  Except we found a family to start teaching.  The daughter has been to girls camp and young women’s during the week and we found out about her and went to ask her parents if we could teach her.  Dad said yes and asked his son too and he said yes also.  We went back and found out that her dad and step mom are both return missionaries who have fallen away.  It is sad but they are looking for a change.  Dad said he turned 40 this year and is looking for a change.  He said he wanted to sit in on our lessons so that maybe he can feel something.  I am so excited to teach this family.  They are so ready and I know that if dad isn't hard hearted he can bring his family back into the Gospel.  

This week and next are elder Reid's last full weeks.  Then he goes home.  It is weird to think I have been his companion for almost 3 months.  

This week should be a good week.  Tonight we have 3 lessons and we should pick up new investigator and have 3 more people with a baptismal date.  And pick up another 2 investigators tomorrow and help them to prepare for baptism.

Other than that not much is new.

I love you.

Love,
Elder Willis

No comments:

Post a Comment